Monday, November 3, 2008

Monday, November 3,2008

This is my first post to this blog. I am so blessed to have so many friends and family praying for me, that I thought it would be a good idea to try my hand at blogging to keep them updated on what is going on.


People have to realize that cancer is not a bad thing to talk about. It drives me crazy the people I meet that do not want to talk about it. Why not?


My journey began with a kidney stone. Talk about a "God thing." The end result was a PET scan. This found the 5 swollen lymph nodes in my abdomen. The largest being 2 inches long. A lymph node is typically the size of a bean. The PET scan also found a swollen node underneath my collar bone on the left side of my body. I am thankful that the cancer is confined to the lymph nodes thus far.



Thursday I have an appt with a DR in Indy that does biopsies on the nodes and removes them as well. In my ideal world, I would get in next week for the biopsy as well. I know this will highly be unlikely.



I am so anxious to get the biopsies done and to find out what kind of lymphoma I have as well as what the Dr feel will be the best treatment.



It is so mentally draining to know that there is cancer inside of me and not being able to control it.

I have to say too that I am so blessed to have the best husband in the world. I know this is hard on him as well. We have shed a few tears together over this as we did when we got our daughter's diagnosis almost 3 years ago. This in itself has taught me that cancer is not a bad word or the end of the world. Down syndrome was not either.

Right now I look to my sister for inspiration. She was diagnosed 8 years ago with lymphoma. She went through radiation. I am hoping to be as lucky, but feel I will need chemo as well if not just chemo. We decided to have a party if I go through chemo and lose my hair. My sister will do the honor of shaving my head. I have already that I refuse to wear a wig! I have nothing to hide and it is not about my hair.

Today I am thankful for the sunshine and the beautiful weather.

12 comments:

Anonymous said...

Mary,
You are being so strong! Just remember, it's okay to feel weak occasionally as well. Thank you for allowing me to be part of your "blogging" buddies. :)
Love,
Mel

Beth Schultz said...

Mary,
What a great thing for you to have this blog. It will help you work through all your emotions to share and help others as well.
Funny how we don't always look at the "big picture" when we are given certain situations in our lives. I would have never thought, years down the road, I would be given the opportunity to help you through this by my own experience.
But, as a Christian, I did not go through it alone and neither will you.
Philippians 4:13
"I can do all things through Him who strengthens me"
That verse helped me and continues to help me. I am sure it will help you also.
Today I am thankful for my sister and for the "big picture" of knowing there is a God who uses each and every one of us and gives us the strength we need when we need it.

Karen Jones said...

First of all, Thank you for letting me be with you on this journey. I promise to do my part. What part shall be determined by you. I will rent a sad movie and we can cry and blame it on the movie..or get one that will make us roll with laughter. It seems like yesterday it was beth that we would have our conversations on how she was doing with her recovery. You have a wonderful sister who will be your rock through this all. Do you have hair now?? HHHMMM the mary I know and love wears a baseball hat.

Nancy Franke said...

Mary,
Thanks for sharing - it helps all of us understand. Thanks for sharing the great pictures, as well. You can't help but smile!

Lois said...

Mary,
Thanks for choosing to keep us updated through this blog. I've never used a blog before. May take me awhile to get it all figured out, but I will!

Trina Riggott Photography said...

Mary, you are an inspiration to me. You are a tough cookie and I have no doubt that you are going to kick this cancer in the butt!

Susan said...

Mary, I love your blog and the beautiful pics of Claire!! I just put it into my favourites.

I know you will get through this with flying colours, your strength is amazing even though I know you are scared to walk down this path and face this journey.

You are not alone and we are all here with you through this. Your positive attitude will pull you through as will your humour and the love from your family and friends.

Daniel and I are here for you honey...much love, "hugs" and "jugs"!!!!!

Sue and Daniel

Lori Rollins said...

Mary,
Thanks for sharing your information. This way we can stay updated on what is going on. You are strong and you have a everyone on your side. God will be there to pull you through this. And you have an amazing sister to be right there with you. God Bless all of you.

Jennifer Hendrix said...

Mary, Thanks so much for sharing your journey with me. As I was reading your first blog today, I remembered one of my favorite songs, not sure if you have heard it but it is so true. Point of Grace--"You will never walk alone." It's true, when you have faith in Jesus, he is right there with you and so are all your friends and family. You will get through this and what a blessing to have your sister there for you, she will know what you are going through. I will be praying for all of you.
Love,
Jennifer

Lisa said...

Mary,
You have a strong faith and a close family, a solid marriage and a little girl that is amazing--what couldn't you do with that on your side!
Good luck with your MD appointment.
This blog is a good idea.
Lisa Stauffacher

Julie King said...

Mary,
You are in my thoughts and prayers often. So glad to get this update and that you have created this blog. Please let me know what I can do to help along this journey.
Love,
Julie
1Peter 5:7 (NIV)
Cast all your anxiety on him because he cares for you.

Terry Ault said...

Mary,

By sharing your blog you are educating a lot of us who have yet to experience going through cancer with a close family member or close friend. I look forward to reading about what goes through the mind of someone who is dealing first hand with cancer. I believe your experience can help me learn how to be supportive of someone who is dealing with cancer and or help me if I should ever have to experience this myself.

I can feel your strength from your words and know that your faith and everyone's prayers will be 80% of your recovery. They say attitude has a lot to do with your recovery.

Thanks for allowing us to be educated and support you through your this trying time.

P.S. I'm still available for babysitting.

Your friend,
Terry Ault