Wednesday, November 19, 2008

I just wanted to take a minute to reach out to those that feel they are afraid to ask me how I am or just feel it will upset me. I wear my heart on my sleeve. I am an open book.
For 5 years I did volunteer work at an AIDS organization in WI. For 6 years I was a hospice volunteer here. I have been around the sick and they dying alot. I have been with someone when they have passed. Now do I feel that makes me any braver, hell no. I am just as scared as everyone else who has walked in my shoes. Who wouldn't be? But I am not afraid to talk about how I am doing or how I am feeling.
So if you see me out and want to ask or just say "hi" please do so. I promise I won't have a major meltdown in the middle of a store and embarrass you! Ha!
Peace!

2 comments:

Beth Schultz said...

Isn't it funny how some people don't ask thinking it will upset the person? I guess it may upset some people, but if they know you at all they should know it won't upset you! And truthfully, if it does that is alright too.
I know your patience is wearing thin with getting a biopsy scheduled and I hope that happens in the next few days. You know me-I would just call and let them know when you are available-ha! The doctor's will start asking you if you are bringing your sister! But honestly you are doing a terrific job at being patient and realizing someone else is in control.
All this puts the upcoming holiday, which I think is my favorite, in perspective. We all need to be thankful for what we have been given (in a weird kind of way that includes cancer) and realize all of it is just a part of our journey here on earth.
I know we are one week away but why don't we all try to offer up praise and thanks today!

Jan Gerth said...

AMEN Beth Ann.
And who cares if you do break down. You are entitled.
While out shopping with a friend recently we me a coworker of my friend whose husband had just been diagnosed with terminal cancel. We all talked for a while and share our personal experiences. When we got ready to leave, I told the lady whom I had just met that she needed a hug and reached out to give her one. She completely fell apart. I am so glad that I could be there for her when she needed someone to just hold her. I sincerely hope I made her feel just a little bit better. We all need that sometimes even if we don't have cancer.
Hang in there. We are all praying for you and are more than willing to help in any way we can.
Aunt Jan