Monday, January 12, 2009

Wow! Where do I begin? My sister, Dennis, and I went to the oncologist today at IU Med. First let me say that I am dealing with the best. He is director of the lymphoma department and is very knowledgeable and very personable. You can tell he really cares. I was impressed and felt very comfortable with him. I know that I am in good hands.


However, my diagnosis is one for the textbooks. He is not comfortable with the lymphocyte predominant DX because of where the lymph nodes are. He is leaning more towards the B-Cell, but just not sure what type for sure. He tried the pathologists at Harvard 3x while we were there to at least give us a time line as far as what their results would be. Looks like we are looking at 1-2 weeks. I won't go into detail and bore any of you, but he did say that until he can get a DX that he is comfortable with, he does not want to start or recommend any treatment. He does not want to over treat or under treat. Because I do not have the B symptoms,( these being high grade fever, unexpected weight loss, night sweats, and excessive fatigue) and I am recovering fine from my surgery, he is comfortable waiting for the DX from Harvard and coming up with a treatment plan. He is going to share this information with Dr Olivaris here in Seymour. I will eventually need the bone marrow biopsy. We are hoping I will be able to get treated in Seymour also.


He did say that I am not a clinical case or a pathological case. I have them all confused! My sister teased me and said I had to do her up one! Ya! I love being a freak of cancer in the field of oncology! DR Robertson even said that he sees rare cases, but not very often.


As far as staging, he believes I will be staged at Stage III only because of where it is in my body and because if the one under my collar bone is even anything to worry about. Folks you have to understand that staging has nothing to do with life expectancy. I know people freak out when they hear of a high staged cancer. The only thing staging will do will help with what type of treatment plan we chose to do.



I am more at peace after talking with Dr Robertson. We knew going into today that we would not have all the answers. And we told him that. It just gives me peace of mind to know that I am comfortable with him and what he decided will be the best thing for me.



More prayers and more prayers and more prayers!!!! Keep them prayers a comin'!!!!



Shout out to Aunt Ju-Ju, Jenna and Robbie for watching Claire Bear. She will never be the same! Ha! Now we have to get a piano! Geez! Ha!

1 comment:

WheresMyAngels said...

Wow, so no answers yet. It sounds like your handling this all well, I'm glad that God can assist you with dealing with it.

Praying hard girl, and thanks for explaining about the stages.

Much love and prayer.